My blog's evilness ==

This site is certified 38% EVIL by the Gematriculator

Sunday, April 12, 2009

whatevs

Tunnels and Trolls play-by-post is going pretty well. It's been going for about 2 weeks now. Some players bounce in and out, some are daily, some are 2-3 times daily - there's a total of 8 that have made characters, and all but one have participated to some degree. I'm glad to run a game again. It's been too long since I've run anything except what came to be one-offs, auto-aborts,
etc. I feel like I could do this for the rest of my life. I don't mean that in a dramatic sense - I mean it in the sense of 'as long as there's an internet and players' (both of which factors will certainly outlast me). I've tried to open it up as a sandbox and keep accepting players, but the idea was put forward to run an immediate adventure so that we could get out feet wet, get used to PBP. They're proving an inventive lot, really entertaining.

Warhammer FRP continues, in which I play a Dwarf named Yrkoll. The name: its all about the Yrk to me - I don't know why I've always been fascinated with that glob of letters. Yrkoon? That's the only citation I can think of (and only thought of it after I named the charater Yrkoon, and then remembered where it came from...early-senior-moment. One of those naming things...we're in the middle of out first combat, and I think I had a bursh with death in the form of an arrow graze, knocking my leather cap off...

The apothecary at Vedron's is starting an OD&D on rpol that I've joined, and I'm thinking about jumping into something really heavy over at AlternateHistory.

I'm trying to help the Swords & Wizardry project by categorizing creatures for the Monster Compendium encounter tables. It is exactly the kind of RPG-as-OCD task I love love love
and I think that S&W and OSRIC are both really relevant projects. It took some lurk time at the boards before I began to realize that I could help these worthwhile projects - to realize how easy it was even just to offer help.

Starting now to plan for GenCon. Never been. Kinda scared. But, I think it's time. I went to small local conventions in the Northern Indiana area when I was young. But the biggie? I generally avoid crowds as much as I can - and I'm pretty good at it. But there's just too much going on, and over the last few years I've really become very comfortable with how important gaming (and non-mindless escapism in general) is to me. Always has been. Gaming was a huge determinant in my life-of-the-mind (Barton Fink anyone? hoot hoot!).

I started an email interview with the owners of the Griffon Bookstore in South Bend Indiana. This is the FLGS I grew up with. Grew up in is more accurate. The owners (Ken and Sarah) have taught Russian for many years, and provided the only real outlet in town for minatures, a variety of RPGS, board and wargames for more than 30 years now. Unfortunately, I have totally let myself get wrapped up in other things (mostly the games listed above...) and haven't finished it up yet. Dammit! Gotta do that soon...

EDIT: and now helping the computer-translator English of Epées & Sorcellerie become human-reader English. This game is really cool!

5 comments:

Scott said...

Do you want a ride to GenCon?

Ragnorakk said...

Most certainly! Long walk!
I've not bought a pass yet, but
I'm pretty certain that I'll be
able to do so soon.
I started looking at the spreadsheet of events...
...
...
eh - (but only got 1/3 through before getting sleepy)

Have you been before? Is the free-gaming area where the action's at?

Scott said...

I've never been. I don't know what I'll do when I get there ... I generally just go places and figure things out later.

I am hoping to meet up with some folks I know from online, and I'd also like to head out and hit a show or two if there are any good bands in town.

I'm tentatively going thirdsies on a room at the Marriott already, so the only hiccup is finding you a place to crash, but I remember you saying you had friends there.

I'll be glad to pick you up on the way if you don't mind a couple hours of my music. :)

Ragnorakk said...

Rowdy!
I don't think I'd have a problem staying there - it would be great to meet - and I like music! you got a CD player in the vehicule?

AndreasDavour said...

So Epées & Sorcellerie will show up in English? Awesome!